Monday, June 09, 2008

Turning a Difficulty Into an Opportunity

Words of wisdom from my friend Tyler Martin:

"One of the quotes in a book I was reading recently really caught my attention. Here it is:

"What is the difference between
an obstacle and opportunity?
It's our attitude towards it.
Every opportunity has a difficulty,
And every difficulty has an opportunity."

My sister is a good example of a thinking big and turning a
difficulty into an opportunity.

A couple years back, she wanted to make some extra money while
raising her two children. She asked me how she could earn a little
extra on the Internet. She had zero technical skills so there
wasn't a lot I could suggest.

At the time, I knew a little bit about online surveys and decided
to research the various services. I found one that appeared to be
real so she gave it a try.

Since signing up, she has consistently received good surveys and
she's done her part by completing them. She doesn't make a fortune
but earns enough extra money every month to pay the "surprise"
bills and have extra for the little things.

But the story actually gets a little bit better. Couple weeks back
I asked her how she was doing with the surveys. She lit up like a
Christmas tree. She went on to tell me that completing those
surveys has provided her a stepping stone to a bigger opportunity.

It turns out one of her friends owns a small business. This friend
asked my sister to come up with questions to ask her customers so
she could provide them with a better shopping experience. My
sister took her up on it and created a pretty nice report from the
way she explained it. They never really discussed pricing but my
sister provided the report to her friend and she handed my sister a
$500 check for her services.

But it even gets better. This lady has a friend who also owns a
small business and asked my sister for a quote to provide the same
service. Guess how much my sister quoted? $1,000. Yes I'm not
joking.

So my sister has developed a skill from answering simple surveys
and now is turning it into a consulting business. Who would have
thought such a small thing could possibly lead into something big?
I'll be first to admit that I let my thinking limit myself at times.

I'm proud of her but more importantly it's the power of turning an
obstacle into an opportunity.

I want to ask a favor of you... If you're hit with an obstacle
this week, think about the quote in this email and see if you can
make it an opportunity.

Deal?"

Talk with you soon,

Melissa

P.S.

If you're wondering about survey sites and find yourself in a spot
like my sister, they really can make you a little extra money.
You're not going to get rich but you will make some extra money and
with a little creativity may even turn into something bigger. Here
is a service that I have researched and believe to be reliable.

http://www.mykidsinheritance.MaxSurveys
http://www.squidoo.com/maximumpaidsurvey

9 comments:

Graham Maddison said...

Hi Melissa,

Yet another inspirational post!
I promise you that whenever I meet with an obstacle, I will do my darndest to turn it into an opportunity.

Graham

GT said...

Hi, Melissa:

An awesome and inspirational post about your sister's spin-off success with online surveys.

Just goes to show that many opportunities exist - a person just has to take that first step and start researching what opportunities are best for them.

GT Bulmer
www.StarrBizz.com

Alan Scholtz said...

Hi Melissa

Thank you for sharing that inspirational post, it just goes to show you that if you are always on the lookout for income opportunities, you will spot one.

Good luck to your sister, I hope loads of people use her.

Regards

Alan
Working From Home

Mira said...

Hi Melissa,

Really good post, to be successful means start something and go for success. Hope is something what moving people to their gool.

Thanks,

Mira

Steve's Home Based Business Informaton WeBlog said...

Ow, wonderful post and very inspirational. Opportunities are plentiful and allit takes is a little research and a lot of desire. Thanks for the post
Stephen Meyer

Tanny said...

Mellssa, this is a very inspiring post, online surveys can help people earn some extra cash and more.

Tanny
Free Internet Home Business Ideas

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

I love your post. It is great that your sister has been able to generate income through her own initiative.

Alan
Simple Work From Home Opportunity

Bill Shultz said...

Melissa,

You seem to have very inspirational post that everyone can relate to! It's great that your sister is having success, maybe people will realize that what we do is not hype and with work and dedication, they can be successful as well!

Thanks,
Bill Shultz

How to Start an Internet Business

charles Kaluwasha said...

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for sharing your sister's experience.There is a lot to learn as we pursue our goals and ambitions in life. I will do my best to turn any obstacle into a Golden opportunity.

Great stuff!